Hockey Data Analysis Project - Intro

 Hello everyone,


Welcome to my blog, where I plan to discuss a portfolio project on Hockey Data Analysis. I recently obtained the Google Advanced Data Analytics certificate, but I believe it's crucial to demonstrate knowledge and credibility through practical projects as well. This blog will serve as a platform to showcase my skills.

Recently, Dave MacPherson (@davemacp) tweeted that the datasets on pick224.com have been updated. I thought it would be an excellent starting point for our project since the data is publicly available, and we can focus on data analysis without worrying about mining data from different leagues for now.

The main goal of this project will be to project Points Per Game (PPG) for returning QMJHL players in the 23-24 season. We will cover every step of the process, from downloading the CSV file, kindly provided by Dave on his website, to performing data projections. Additionally, I plan to use different features and models to analyze the data, and I'll conclude the project by implementing some common machine learning techniques.

Luckily, Pick224 provides us with historical player data going back to 2008, which should give us enough data points to achieve our end goal of making accurate projections. To accomplish this task, we will utilize Python, specifically the Pandas package, to explore and analyze the data.

For those interested, you can also follow along with the GitHub repo I've created for this project at https://github.com/nathanahearn/hockeystats.

Stay tuned for upcoming updates and exciting insights from our Hockey Data Analysis project!

Thank you for reading.

Comments